Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dance Magic Dance

While visiting some friends in Portland a few weeks ago, my friend started singing this song. I think that she has been singing this song everyday for the last ten (TEN! has it been that long?!) years that I have known her - or I've heard her sing it on three separate occasions , I'm not sure which scenario it is. Anyway, I didn't know what movie the song was from and my friends were amazed...AMAZED that I have never seen Labyrinth. After checking some facts on the movie, I have come to a few conclusions as to why I haven't seen the movie. 1.) I was 8 when the movie came out. David Bowie can seem quite scary to 8 year olds (not that I knew who David Bowie was at the time.) 2. Fraggle Rock scared the crap out of me as a child. I think that it still does - the creatures look Fraggle Rockish to me. 3.) 'Back to the Future' came out in 1985 and I know my dad took my brothers and I to see the movie in the theatres multiple times, I was too occupied by Michael J. Fox mania to notice silly creatures that sing (did I mention that they are scary too?!) To further prove that it isn't MY fault that I have never seen the movie, I can look to my mom's response when I asked her about Labyrinth. Our conversation went something like this, "Mom, have you seen Labyrinth." "Yes, it chases a ball." HUH??

Perhaps I will add Labyrinth to my NF queue - BUT I'm not bumping it to the top of the queue. (Also, I'm not watching at my friends house in Portland - they use a projector and screen to watch all of their movies - and while I find their set-up schweet, no one needs to see David Bowie in tight pants larger than life.)

3 comments:

mommy23 said...

You've never seen Labyrinth? I think it is scarier now than it was when I saw it as a kid! yikes.. that poor baby!

Mary said...

How about where he throws the baby (doll) up in the air and walks away at the end of the song. I wonder if there was a rise in 'baby tossing' accidents when the movie came out!

Anonymous said...

"Dance, magic, dance....you remind me of the babe!"

You will watch this movie whether you like it or not I just hope I am there to watch it with you. Don't forget I am going to have a tights pants party in honor of David Bowie and Leslie Hall! For all of you that don't know about Leslie....go to youtube.com.....your life as you know it will change forever.